Friday, August 6, 2010

Preschool Open House

WESTON IS STARTING SCHOOL!!!!
This summer has been a bit emotional for me for a couple of reasons. First, Wyatt will be turning 1 very soon. Secondly, Weston will become a preschooler. This summer I was having a really difficult time deciding on whether or not to send Weston to school. I've been sad about him growing up so fast, but I know he really wants to go to school. Weston is not old enough to start Pre-K because his birthday is September 18th, which means that he is about two weeks shy of the birthday cutoff. When Nathan and I found out our due date for Weston, I'll admit that we were disappointed that he may be 6 years old before he actually starts public school. The students for Pre-K are picked on a lottery system, so not all students are given the opportunity to go to Pre-K for free. The school that Weston is zoned for only has one Pre-K class, so the chances are slim. So, we knew that it meant he would either have to stay at home for at least 5 years(maybe 6), or we would have to pay to send him to daycare or preschool. I thought these 5 or 6 years were going to feel like eternity. Well, 4 years have flown by...FAST!! Now that Weston is almost four, I am so RELIEVED that his birthday was TWO weeks late. I just don't feel ready for him to go to school every day for 7 hours each day. However, Weston is definitely ready for more interaction with other kids, so we settled on a 3K program for two days a week. Also, he will be going there for 4 hours rather than 7. I shed a few tears (ok, maybe more than a few) over sending him to school, but after going to his school and meeting his teacher, I am really excited. I think this is going to be a wonderful transition from being at home with me every day to going to school full time. This way, when he finally goes to school full time, it won't be such a shock. Also, I am able to help out in his classroom as much as I want, so that will be fun for me!! I love being at home with my boys, but I do miss teaching. I'm excited about being in the classroom again. The teacher even said I could bring Wyatt with me!!! So, here are a few photos of Weston (and Wyatt) at open house.

I didn't get any photos of his teacher, but I'm sure I will get some on the first day.


Weston sitting in the teacher's chair.

Weston and Wyatt making themselves at home in the classroom.

3 comments:

Gina said...

It looks like he is going to have a blast!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

Sandy said...

Sounds like it will be good for everyone!

Julian said...

Looks perfect! Preston is a mid September birthday as well. The timing has always been perfect for him and school...of course he sat in the corner of his Pre-school class and cried for the first few days, but it was a nice break having a one year old as well...not that you can do much in three hours.