Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Swim....I don't think so!

On Monday, Weston started swimming lessons. I wasn't sure how Weston was going to do in this class, but I decided to give it a try anyway. He can be really stubborn at times and doesn't mind will putting his foot down when he wants to. He assured me before we left the house that he wanted to go swimming, but I wasn't sure if he was going to chicken out once we got there. Well, he was happy to go to the pool until we told him to sit on the edge of the pool with the other swimmers. He started screaming, "NO! NO! NO! I'm NOT going to do it!!" We told him that he didn't have to get in the pool, but he was going to sit on the edge and at least watch the other children the entire time. He sat on the edge of the pool for a bit, but he was being quite difficult! If the instructor tried to speak to him, he would run away. He was also coming up with every excuse as to why he couldn't get into the pool. I must say, he was quite disruptive to the class!

pouting on the edge of the pool
Here are some of the excuses we heard him tell his teacher:
Excuse #1-I can't get in the pool because there is a little bit of black stuff right here.
Excuse #2- This sign says "NO DIVING!" I can't get in the pool!
Excuse #3- There are too many honeybugs(I think he meant a bee) in the pool.
Excuse #4-No, I am going to drown!
Excuse #5- It is too cold!
Excuse #6-I can't float because I'll splash the kids.

Weston hanging on the ladder when he was supposed to be sitting on the edge of the pool.

Finally, Weston put his toes in the water! We were so proud of this small accomplishment...until he started splashing water in the instructor's face!!!!! At that point, I wanted to walk off and pretend that I didn't know him.

Finally Nathan picked Weston up and handed him to one of the instructors. He screamed for a minute, but finally calmed down. I thought he was going to choke the instructor!

He remained calm the rest of the time and followed instructions.
Wyatt making silly faces at me:)



I had to post these photos of Weston's first swimming lessons at 9 months.




To be continued.....

0 comments: