Monday, May 23, 2011

Swimming Lessons


When I woke this morning, I immediately started to have flashbacks of Weston's first day of swimming lessons last year. The first day was horrible. What was he going to do this year? Last year, he threw a fit and came up with a thousand reasons as to why he shouldn't get into the pool. By the third day, he LOVED his swimming lessons.
I asked him if he wanted to take swimming lessons this summer and he said yes....and he was excited about it!! Weston is not always predictable, so I still felt uneasy. When I heard him say he wanted to wear his shoes in the pool, after I asked him to get dressed, I knew he was probably going to be stubborn today!!!! Allowing the other kids see his FEET was going to be the issue this year!!!!

When we arrived at the pool he seemed a little nervous, but excited. They started dividing the kids into classes, and Weston went willingly to his instructor. Then she told him to take off his flip flops...and he refused. Yep, his feet were the problem. He whispered to me, "Tell her I want to wear my shoes in the pool." I told him that it WAS NOT an option. Still, he refused. Oh Boy...here we go AGAIN. It is always a joy to watch your child throw a fit the first day of swimming lessons. I decided to leave the pool area because I thought he would listen to her if I weren't around. He ran after me and wrapped his arms around my leg!!! I assured him that he was going to be fine and told the instructor that he would be fine in a few minutes. She told me to leave and she would handle him with the help of another instructor. So, I left....and the other instructor carried him to the edge of the pool and held him there. He sat there and followed instructions, but I could tell he was would run if the instructor let go of him. She had her arm wrapped around his back and she was trying to convince him that he was going to be fine. After a few minutes, she was able to leave his side!!! Great! He wasn't going to run away!!! After he had calmed down, Wyatt and I went back into the pool area. The rest of the time, I saw him laughing and having a good time. He even swam my himself with a float around his waist. He was very proud of himself when he was finished, and asked if he was going back tomorrow.!! So, it looks like he is going to have another successful summer in swimming lessons.

When we got into the car, I asked him if he was scared of getting in the water. Do you what he said? "No, I just didn't want anyone to see my STINKY FEET!"







0 comments: