Monday, April 25, 2011

Update on the Chickens..

We LOVE our chickens!


Our chickens have added a lot of personality to our backyard! I never thought chickens would be so interesting, but they are so much fun to watch! They are always doing crazy things and they have funny personalities. One of the chickens laid in an egg in one of my flower pots the other day!




I thought the chickens were going to be a lot of trouble, but they turned out to be really easy. In the morning, Weston and Nathan feed the chickens and let them out of their coop. The rest of the day, they roam freely in our backyard. I couldn't be more pleased!! I told Nathan I didn't want to keep them if they had to be cooped up all day. I didn't feel good about keeping them confined to a small area for long periods of time. We were either going to get them a bigger coop, or let them run around the yard most of the time . We didn't know if we would be able to leave them unattended in our yard because they can fly to some extent. Their wings are clipped, but they can fly over our fence if they want to escape. So far, they seem very content staying in our yard. Even when we go somewhere, we leave them out. Luckily, they are always in the yard when we return home. So, I don't think we have to worry about them leaving anytime soon. As soon as the sun starts to set, they automatically go into their coop and go to sleep. How easy is that!!!? The only thing we have to do is make sure they have food and water. Not only are they easy pets to have, we now have fresh eggs every day! We collect at least 2 to 6 eggs every day. We have had to buy eggs since they came to our house. I think they might be the best pets we have ever had!!

0 comments: