Thursday, April 28, 2011

Caterpillar Update

We ended up having more caterpillars than we had hoped for this year!!! Originally, I thought we had around 8 caterpillars, but I kept finding more every time I tried to count them. Eventually, I stopped counting after 17!!! We had so many that I had to pull a small cabbage plant out of my garden almost every day for them to eat. They would eat the entire thing by the end of the day!! Whoa! I actually had Nathan put some of them outside because we had too many to feed!!! Anyway, all of the ones we kept formed a chrysalis. We waited about a week, and then we had our first butterfly appear the day before Easter.

Chrysalides

Our Cabbage White Butterflies!!!

drinking sugar water from a cotton ball



Weston didn't want to let them go, but I convinced him that it was best to set them free.



Goodbye, butterflies!


The butterflies quickly found my cabbage plants and started laying eggs. I'm sure they will destroy all of my cabbage plants!!that small dot is an egg!

0 comments: