Sunday, May 27, 2012

Swamp Stomp 5K

!

In April, I ran my first 5k during the annual Swamp Stomp at Phinizy Swamp!  After Nathan ran a half marathon with a stomach virus in March, I decided I would give running a try! If he could make it through a half marathon under those circumstances, then I may have a chance at finishing a 5k!!! Honestly, I have never been interested in running, but Nathan looks like he has so much fun! I thought it may be worth a try.... at least once!  Although I enjoy exercising, I have NEVER tried to run in my life.  Yes, I have occasionally sprinted after the boys, but that is about it! I have been going to Zumba classes at least twice a week, for over two years, but that is all I had going for me! I signed up for the race three weeks before the day of the race, and decided I better start trying to get myself ready IMMEDIATELY! I started running about 4 days a week for three weeks.  I thought I was going to die the first week! Nolan said he was interested in running with us, which eventually led Tammy to sign up also.  At the last minute, my dad decided he would join us too! So, it ended up being a fun family run for all of us! Nana watched the boys for us while we ran! I think we all had a GREAT time! Now, I'm hooked on running.  I don't think I will ever attempt a half marathon or anything like that, but running turned out to be more fun than I expected!

Group photo of us before the run.  It was very foggy that morning.

Weston and Brandon waiting for us to finish!

We made it! My goal was to run the entire time, but I didn't really care about my time this race.  Training to run three miles in three weeks was difficult enough! I ran the entire time and finished in 34:59. I don't have the rest of the family's times, but Nolan beat all of us!  I believe he finished between 27 and 28 minutes. Nathan shared the same time as me, because he was nice enough to stay with me during the race.

My 65- year- old dad came in second place in his age group!! Go, Dad!!!



0 comments: