Monday, January 10, 2011

Anatomy 101 at bedtime

Back in November, when Honey was visiting, I bought Weston a book about the human body. Weston and Wyatt were playing with the trains in the bookstore when Weston noticed a book with a skull on the cover. Halloween had just passed, so I thought he was attracted to the scary cover rather than the content of the book. He begged me to buy the book, but I told him no at first. I thought he would be disappointed when he realized it was a book about anatomy rather than a scary story. Later, I changed my mind when I saw him looking through the book. He seemed really interested, and he was trying to show the other kids in the bookstore. So, the book came home with us!
A few months later, he is STILL interested!!! He chooses this book almost every night for his bedtime story. Lucky us! Sure, I found some of the facts interesting the first couple of times I read the book, but now I am dreading story time. He pulls it out so much that I want to scream, "NOT AGAIN! I'll read anything else, but please don't make me read about the digestive system!!!"
I certainly do not want to discourage him from learning, so I try not to show my disappointment when he hands me that book. I think it is great that he loves to learn, but there comes a point when I have a hard time pretending to be excited when I read about eyelash mites for the 100th time:) So, lately I tell him I will read a page or two each night, but not the entire book. So far, he is ok with that and so are we. I'm sure in a couple of weeks he will be interested in something else, and that will be the last of Anatomy 101 at bedtime!



trying to explain the heart



Santa brought him a human body puzzle for Christmas!

2 comments:

Julian said...

Look for the Ripley's Believe It Or Not book...you will be reading about folks with tatoos and piercings all over their bodys,folks with 13 toes, and other "cool" things. I've gotten good at saying, "if you choose this book...you're reading to yourself! Blah!"

Melanie Ostergard said...

eyelash mites, that made me laugh out loud!!