Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Pink Eye, colorblindness, and puzzles


We have been battling pink eye around our house for several months. It seems like Weston and I keep passing it back and forth. I haven't taken Weston to the doctor until today because we've been borrowing eye drops from my sister. This morning Weston's eyes were red again and the bottle of eye drops we borrowed from my sister was almost empty. I also wanted to talk to the doctor about Weston possibly being red/green colorblind so I decided to make an appointment this morning. We have suspected that Weston is red-green colorblind for almost a year, and I really want to know if our suspicions are right. It really drives me crazy not knowing if he is colorblind.

I was not sure how Weston was going to handle the doctor visit. Last time I mentioned going to see the doctor he said, "I don't want to see Dr. Renew. She's gonna hurt me with the flashlight!" I thought he was definitely going to throw a fit when we got there. To my surprise, he was a great patient this time. He jumped on the scales without being asked and let the nurse take his temperature without any complaints. He said, "I need to see Dr. Renew. My eyes are red."

He didn't have any problems letting the doctor examine him either. The doctor wasn't sure if it was pink eye or allergies, but we got a prescription for more eye drops. So, we won't have to bother Aunt Tammy for her eye drops any more:) As for the red-green colorblindness, the doctor said they won't be able to tell until he gets a little older. I was hoping she could give him a quick test, but we will have to take him to an eye doctor in about a year. Ugh! Waiting is torture!

Anyway, I think he was thrilled to get out of the house and see someone else besides me! It turned out to be a nice visit. He wouldn't stop talking! I had a hard time talking to everyone because he kept interrupting with his comments. He even told me he "had so much fun" as we were leaving the building. He did so well today that I took him to Target and bought him another puzzle. He LOVES puzzles right now! We had a lot of fun putting it together.


2 comments:

Melanie Ostergard said...

I asked my pediatrician about color blindness since any boys I have will have a 50/50 change of being color blind (since my dad is). She said that you can find out at an early age by having them trace the number they see on the pictures. I'll email you a link to a site that has a picture where with normal color vision you see one number and a red/green color blind person sees a different number. If you're curious, it might be interesting to see what Weston does.

Julian said...

They also make tests with stars and boats rather than just numbers (you can do a google search and play with them on the computer screen). Both Preston and Hansen are red/green colorblind. It is good to have a clue before they start school as some activities and assesments are color based. Suprisingly these types of tests are all they do, nothing more scientific.