Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Update on School!

Well, the happy boy I dropped off at school came back to me in a different form.  While I was waiting in the very long car rider line, I could see Weston waiting patiently to be picked up. We waved to each other from a distance, and I could hardly wait to pull around and let him in the car.  When it was FINALLY my turn, he hopped in the car and buckled himself in his car seat.
"How was your day at school???!!!!!!" I asked.
"Great! Great! Great!!!" he said in an irritated voice. I could tell he was definitely not in the mood for me to ask questions about his day. I asked him a few questions about school and he quickly cut me off with, "I don't know!" The happy little boy I dropped off at school was now a grumpy and exhausted boy. So, this is what it was going to be like.  School gets the best part of him during the early hours of the day, and I'm stuck with all the grumpy leftovers!!!!  Then, he started complaining.
"Why didn't my teacher pick me to open one of the boxes with toys? I was waving my quiet hand like this(he demonstrates), but she didn't pick me!!! I was being good, but she only gave the box to two people."
The complaints didn't stop there!!! He kept on complaining to the point that I was ready to turn the car around drop him back off at school.  It wasn't that he was just complaining...he was snappy and rude when I tried to talk to him. Here are just a few of his gripes about his day:
  "I wanted a lunch tray, but the teacher didn't let me get one! Why didn't she let me get one?"
  "I thought that we were going to go outside after we ate lunch, but we didn't!! We only went outside one time!"
  "All I got for a snack was fruit...no drink!"
  "My friend pushed me out of my seat in the lunchroom.  The teacher told us that we couldn't be together anymore!!"
  "We didn't even get to play with the toys in the room!  We had to sit at the table and share SOME of toys!!"



I can only hope he didn't talk to his teachers in the same tone he was speaking to me!

The rest of the evening, Weston was grumpy.  I expected him to be tired, but not that grumpy!!! I hoped this was not an indication of what the rest of the year was going to be like.  It was going to be a long year if this continued.

I will say, after all of the complaining, he did say that he had fun at school and he liked his teachers.  He was also very excited to go back. I could tell that he enjoyed it, but he was tired.

On Monday, I prepared for the worst.  I wasn't going to get my hopes up that he would come home happy. When I picked him up in the car rider line, he hoped in the car with a huge smile on his face!  "I got a GREEN light!!!" he said. He even gave me a kiss!!! He started talking about his day and didn't snap at me for asking him questions either. He was excited to tell me about some stories he read in class and what he did at PE. He even shared a song with me. Maybe he will adjust to his schedule quicker than I thought.  I can only hope for the best!!!












 

0 comments: