Monday, March 15, 2010

Wyatt's allergies

A couple of weeks ago, I took Wyatt to an allergists to find out what he is allergic to. They had to draw blood from him because they don't do skin prick tests on babies. They tested Wyatt to see if he is allergic to wheat, eggs, cow's milk, fish, soy, and nuts. On Monday, I took Wyatt back to the allergist to find out the results of the tests. Wyatt is allergic to cow's milk and nuts. His nut allergy was a lot higher than the cow's milk which explains why he still has eczema and hives. I love peanut butter and I eat it almost every day. She also said that it looked like he may be sensitive to soy, but he is not allergic to it. Also, Wyatt's allergy antibodies were in the 200 range, whereas most babies his age are in the 40 range! She said that he will probably suffer from a lot of allergies. Poor baby! Anyway, now I am on a dairy free and nut free diet until I wean Wyatt. I also realize that I am going to have to make a lot of adjustments to our grocery list to accommodate Wyatt until he (hopefully) outgrows his food allergies. It is quite a learning experience!

1 comments:

Melanie Ostergard said...

Oh my goodness, I'd be in so much trouble if that were me. It's hard enough to find something nutritional without having to figure out if it contains nuts or dairy. What a challenge!! I'll keep my fingers crossed that he grows out of it.